Monday, March 30, 2015

Service Hours

      I went to the Life Skills spotlight night and it was such a blast! I went early to help set up and all I was doing was helping display the artwork of the students. I ended up hanging rockets in the entrance which took the full hour because there was not enough scissors to go around haha. I actually had no idea that it was going to be such a fun night, there was a talent show and minute to win it games.
     The talent show was beyond amazing. It was worth it just to see their faces light up on the stage and they were great performers, they really knew how to work the crowd hahaha. I especially enjoyed the two boys that danced to Michael Jackson. All of them had a really good sense of humor though.
     After the show there was a transition to games where we could talk to the performers and eat some light snacks. It was fun seeing the students smiling and one of the boys came up out of no where and gave me a big hug! It made me smile and told him he sang my favorite song, (Taylor Swift: Shake it Off).
     I then went to go look at the other artwork and was by the hand tree. Michael the magician was also there and wanted to tell me about the hand/leaf he decorated. He was so funny, he told me, "This hand is my life story. See here, these swirls mean that I appreciate intricate artwork, these spikes mean that I like a little bit of danger, and this one means that I like pie. Do you know what kind of pie?" The drawing he pointed at was yellow so I said, "Banana? (no) Lemon?" he then told me that he liked the 3.14 kind of pie hahaha. It was great talking to him, he had really good sense of vocabulary and a good sense of humor.
     After the activity I helped clean up and then went home. I am glad that I was able to volunteer and attend this activity. It was awesome and I really liked being involved with the students. I had never been to something like that before, or really interacted with people that had mental disabilities, but it was a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment